As part of the ESA project MULTIPLY the institute is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist (m/f, Ref. 2015-21) in the area of lidar remote sensing of water vapour, clouds, and aerosols. The successful applicant will work with a small team of scientists and engineers.
- The initial project focus will be on the processing and use of five years of measurements taken from the institute’s Barbados Cloud Observatory to study how water vapour, aerosols and clouds interact to determine the structure and distribution of clouds in the marine boundary layer.
- These analyses will further guide the development of a new high spectral resolution lidar being developed for space-borne applications.
- Considerable opportunity exists to work with institute members engaged in theoretical and modelling studies to better understand cloud feedbacks in and aerosol radiative forcing of the climate system.
Qualifications / experience
- A PhD in atmospheric sciences, physics, engineering, applied mathematics or related fields are required for this position.
- Familiarity with the principles of active remote sensing (especially lidar) is highly desired.
- The applicant should have expertise in scientific programming (FORTRAN or Python), and in data analysis.
- Strong communication and organizational skills and an ability to effectively communicate scientific understanding are also very much desired.
- The position is offered for three years starting immediately.
- Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
- The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology seeks to increase the number of female scientist and encourages them to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities as outlined for this project. For further information, please contact Ilya Serikov (ilya.serikov(at)mpimet.mpg.de) or Bjorn Stevens (bjorn.stevens(at)mpimet.mpg.de). Applications should be forwarded to the address indicated below. The selection process will start on 15 June 2015 and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two references via E-Mail: email@example.com (in one pdf-attachment with max. 5 MB only).
Max Planck Institute for Meteorology
Administration (Ref. 2015-21)
D-20146 Hamburg, Germany